Intro Text 

Complaints concerning incidents of noise pollution or nuisance are investigated on behalf of the Council by Environmental Health Officers (EHOs). 

Statutory Notices may subsequently be served on offenders requiring them to eliminate noise nuisance, under the Noise Pollution Regulations 1994. If the nuisance persists, the matter can then be referred to the Courts.

If you have been subjected to noise pollution or nuisance in the following circumstances, you may lodge a complaint with the Environmental Enforcement Section.

  • Noise emanating from a private premises (other than a private dwelling) or a public place, which may cause annoyance in a public place and/or subsequently in private premises.

Please note that the Council does not investigate complaints relating to noise from domestic premises, including apartments or flats, except in situations where a business is operating from these premises.

Noise pollution and nuisance complaints may be submitted to the Enforcement Section using the Environmental Complaints Form, or by contacting the Section directly at ph. (01) 204 7954, or by e-mailing wasteenforcement@dlrcoco.ie  


Complaints About Noisy Neighbours

Any persons subjected to noise nuisance arising from domestic or residential premises may apply directly to their District Court for a Court Order under Section 108 of the Environmental Protection Agency Act, 1992. Further information regarding Section 108 Notices and noise pollution is available by clicking on the attached guide to the Noise Regulations Leaflet.

Persons affected by noise nuisance caused by tenants in private rented dwellingsmay also apply directly to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (www.prtb.ie  or  ph. (01) 635 0600) to resolve the problem. The PRTB can legally direct landlords to ensure that their tenants comply with the terms of their tenancy agreements regarding noise and other forms of anti-social behaviour.

Persons subjected to noise nuisance caused by tenants in Council owned dwellings should make a complaint directly to the Anti-Social Behaviour Section of the Housing Dept.


Noise From Construction Works

There are no set times in law limiting the working hours on building sites, as such. However, there are guideline standard times adopted by the Council that apply to construction activity, and if work takes place outside of these hours, it can then be regarded as a source of noise nuisance, and investigated by the Council’s EHOs (Environmental Health Officers). Construction working hours on a particular development may also be regulated by way of a condition attached to the planning permission.

The standard times for construction works in Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown are:

Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Saturdays: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Sundays & Bank Holidays: Works normally not permitted.

However, please note that these are guideline times only, and in certain circumstances it may be necessary for building works to take place outside of these hours. In addition, these guideline times do not apply to any kind of emergency works carried out by the ESB, Bord Gais, Iarnród Eireann etc.