My drains are blocked, what can I do?

The property owner is responsible for their drain all the way to the Council main sewer, even if the drain runs across public space e.g. across the footpath and/or the road.  When called out, the Council's Inspector can determine the location of the blockage by examining the manholes on the Council's sewer.  If the Council's sewer is running clear, it means the private drain serving the house(s) is blocked.  In this case, the householder should employ a suitable company to clear the blockage.  For further information, please click on Maintenance of Private Drains.