Cycling is the ultimate family activity and is suitable for all ages. It is free, fun and keeps us fit and healthy. During Bike Week 2017, dozens of events will take place all over Dublin that will appeal to all cyclists including a number of events being held by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council:
- June 10 (Saturday) – Bike Fest 2017 - ‘Pedal in the Park’ Cycling activities in Cabinteely Park 1pm to 5pm – Bike fest will present a spectacular cycle themed festival event featuring Bike Tune Ups, Bling UR Bike decorations, Cycling Information, Food and Smoothies made by our pedal powered Smoothie maker. Strolling entertainment will come from “Cycle Circus” performers and Street Entertainers and a unique cycle stunt show from Ben Savage's Savage Skills. Come along to this Free Event
- June 13 (Tuesday) – Free Bike Clinic, Crofton Road, Dún Laoghaire – Come along for your free bike check and basic repairs. Time: 12:30 -14:30
- June 14 – Street Velodrome at the Lexicon Library- Street Velodrome is a unique fun cycle or sport concept which brings all the theatre and drama of Olympic style track cycling right into the heart of the communities it visits using an innovative pop up velodrome with elevated banked corners. The event is mainly ‘Invite only’ with invites being made to nearby schools, over 50 groups and special needs cyclists. However, people can come along at 4pm to 6pm and try it out.
- June 15 – ‘Bike to Work Day’ for all workplaces.
- June 16 (Friday) – Free Bike Clinic, Carmanhall Road Sandyford – Come along for your free bike check and basic repairs. Time: 12:30 -14:30
- June 16 (Friday) – Art Competition presentation – The closing date for entry to the Primary Schools Art competition is June 8th. Children are required to draw an A4 poster around the theme ‘Cycling and Safety with prizes on offer for the best entries in four categories by class. Details and rules of the Art Competition have been emailed to all primary schools.
According to An Cathaoirleach Cllr Cormac Devlin,
Bike Week aims to promote cycling as a healthy, sustainable and fun mode of travel for school, commuting or leisure with many cycling events taking place in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown and across Ireland. It is an ideal opportunity for kids and adults to rediscover the bicycle and find out how convenient cycling can be for local trips while at the same time discovering the local community. This comes at a time when cycling numbers are growing all across the County’
Visit www.www.bikeweek.ie for a full list of Dublin and national events.