Environmental Awareness Officer (COMP. I.D. 010548)
- Development and active promotion of the Council’s Climate Change and environmental policies plans and campaigns including Climate Change adaptation and mitigation plans, waste management, litter management, environmental action plans, pollution prevention etc.
- Dissemination of information on climate change, the environment and promotion of good environmental practices relating to waste management including waste minimization and recycling in homes, schools, communities, and businesses.
- Dissemination of information and promotion of good practice and awareness on other aspects of Climate Change and the environment such as, water conservation, energy issues, air quality, biodiversity and transport issues.
- Organisation and promotion of environmental education initiatives in schools, including the Green Schools Programme, communities and commercial/industrial sector;
- Highlighting environmental awareness through school visits, meetings with local interest groups and community groups, visits with industry and commercial organisations.
- Promotion of clean technology and waste minimisation initiatives in industry;
- Promotion of obligations under the Waste Management Acts, 1996 – 2005 and in particular the Packaging Regulations.
- Promotion of good environmental practice and awareness in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
- Liaison with State Bodies and other public sector organisations, the private sector and voluntary/community groups in relation to environmental issues
- Management and leadership of employees within the Environmental Awareness Section including assigning duties and workload and identifying training and development requirements as appropriate.
- Support management in the implementation of work programmes as required by the Council’s Corporate and Operational Plans
- Financial Management, report writing, budgeting and resource allocation
- Management of dlr Environment and Climate Action Grant Scheme
- Securing funding from the Department of Climate, Communications to further community based environmental projects (Anti-Litter, Anti-Graffiti Grant Scheme and The Community Environment Action Fund).
- Collaboration with external stakeholders such as the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications, Eastern Midlands Regional Waste Authority, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and Local Area Prevention Network (LAPN)
- Organisation and delivery of public relations including press releases, media and advertising
- Attending after-hours environmental functions of the County Council and facilitating and/or liaising with tenants’/residents’ groups and estate management fora, as required, and developing and maintaining a working relationship with other agencies or groups.