Town & Village Scheme 2019 is now open for Expressions of Interest.
The Town and Village Renewal Scheme 2019 was recently announced by Minister Michael Ring for 2019. The scheme provides funding from the Department of Rural and Community Development, which will be available for rural towns and villages with populations of less than 10,000 across Ireland, and will be administered through the Local Authorities.Selection of projects under the Town and Village Renewal Scheme for 2019 will be by means of a competitive process.
Expressions of Interest may be considered from two categories of rural Towns and Villages, as set out in the scheme outline. In this area, Expressions of Interest from rural Towns and Villages may be considered in respect of the villages of Kilternan, Glencullen, Stepaside, and Sandyford Village Centre.
The deadline for receipt of completed Expressions of Interest forms by DLRCC is 5pm on the 12th June 2019 and the completed EOI forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Following receipt of Expressions of Interest from Towns & Villages, the Local Authority must assess all expressions and select the best and work up applications which should then be submitted to the Department for their Assessment. As you will see from the documentation, all applications for funding must be submitted by the Local Authority to the Department by 28th June 2019.
The report on local government Putting People First – An Action Programme for Effective Local Government Oct 2012 envisaged a range of reforms including an enhanced role for local government in community development. This enhanced role for the Council in community development was provided for in the Local Government Reform Act 2014 which was enacted on the 1st June 2014 and included for the establishment of Local Community Development Committees.
Role of the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Local Community Development Committee
The LCDC will be a committee of the Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council and its primary role will be to develop, co-ordinate and implement a coherent and integrated approach to local and community development. This will involve the following:
- Have primary responsibility for Co-ordination, planning and oversight of local development spend
- Bring a more coherent approach to the implementation of local and community development programmes and interventions.
- Drive meaningful citizen and community engagement in scoping, planning, delivery and evaluation of local and community development programmes.
- Ensure a more efficient administration of local and community programmes and delivery structures.
- Develop approaches that focus on learning and feedback.
- Explore and pursue opportunities for additional funding resources.
Functions of the Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Local Community Development Committee
The proposed functions of the LCDC is to:
- Prepare the community element of 6 year local economic and community plan
- Co-ordinate, manage and oversee implementation of Social Inclusion, Community Activation Programme (SICAP) including the Local Community Development Programme and the Rural Development Programme (LEADER)