A

Languages

Intro Text 

Dun Laoghaire Corporation was established on October 14, 1930 on foot of the Local Government (Dublin) Act, 1930 which amalgamated the Urban District Councils of Blackrock, Dalkey, Killiney-Ballybrack and Dun Laoghaire.  These local authorities had been constituted as townships in the mid nineteenth century and designated as U.D.C.’s under the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898.

The records transferred from the disbanded authorities to Dun Laoghaire together with those extant in Dun Laoghaire’s Town Hall constitute the main archive of the Corporation.  Also included in this list are primary records created by the Corporation from its inception until 1973 when a full time borough manager was appointed and records of the Dean’s Grange Joint Burial Board.

The records have been divided into five mini collections in recognition of the independent existence of the authorities prior to the 1930 amalgamation.  Each collection has been given the reference prefix L.A. for Local Authority, LA1 is Blackrock; LA2 – Dalkey; LA3 – Killiney-Ballybrack; LA4 Kingstown/Dún Laoghaire and LA5 – Dun Laoghaire Corporation.

The collections have been arranged to reflect the administrative structure and functioning of the authorities and are generally divided into five main sections.

The first and most significant of these:-

A:       Minutes – Contain minutes of the authorities and of their various standing and sub-committees which increased in number as the administrative remit of the authorities broadened.

B:       Correspondence:  This applies largely to Blackrock and to a lesser extent, Killiney-Ballybrack.

C:       Financial Records which consist of accounts, wages/salaries and improvement urban and general rates.

D:      Legal Records contain title documents, contracts and counsel’s briefs opinions.

E:       Miscellany includes material of historical or aesthetic value such as maps, plans, press cuttings, pamphlets, handbills, photographs.

The records are arranged chronologically within each section and are numbered to improve accessibility.

The collections consist largely of bound volumes, predominantly minutes and rates with some attendant title deeds.  It was obviously not feasible to transfer all existing records to Dun Laoghaire in 1930 and the disbanded authorities would appear to have transferred only those of administrative import and those which they were statutorily obliged to retain.

LA1 Blackrock

The Blackrock records date from 1863 when the Township of Blackrock came into being on foot of the Blackrock Township Act.  In addition to minutes of the Township/U.D.C. and of various obligatory committees it contains proceedings of the People’s Park Committee 1874-1900 appointed to oversee the creation and management of the People’s Park and a Distress committee 1914-1915 charged with alleviating hardship caused by the Great War.  Blackrock is the only authority to retain any nineteenth century correspondence.  The material discovered in a box of title deeds covers the 1868-1875 period and includes correspondence with the Township’s Law Agent, local citizenry and the alliance and Dublin Consumer’s Gas Company, the latter with reference to the public lighting of the district.  Also included is correspondence relating the Vartry Water Supply.

The collection also contains the minutes, reports and accounts of the Blackrock and Kingstown Main Drainage Board which was established pursuant to the Blackrock and Kingstown Drainage and Improvement Act, 1893 to over see the implementation of a joint drainage system and consisted of five councillors from both Blackrock and Kingstown.

Amongst the items of particular interest are an 1865 plan of a Monkstown shopfront (LA1/413), an 1873 Dublin Gazette (LA1/420) and c. 1880 regulations issued by the Township governing houses and parts of houses let in lodging and occupied by members of more than one family (LA1/423).

LA2 Dalkey

Although Dalkey is recorded as having received a charter of incorporation by a 1358 enrolment of 33 Edward III, it has the smallest record representation of any of the five local authorities.  It contains no correspondence or legal material and the fifty nine items in the collection which date from the first meeting of the Township Commissioners on 17 August 18 consist almost wholly of minutes and rate books.  Included is a Register of Interments for the old Dalkey graveyard 1901-1911 (LA2/58).

LA3 Killiney-Ballybrack

Killiney-Ballybrack Township was established on 18 July 1866.  Its records, however, date only from 1871.  In addition to minutes and rates the collection contains title documents relating to the purchase of lands from the Callwell and Talbot Estates.  Amongst the items of interest letters form the Agricultural and General Workers Union relating to a labour dispute with the U.D.C. 1918 (LA3/86).

LA4 Kingstown/Dun Laoghaire

The records of Kingstown/Dun Laoghaire date from 1834 when the township was established by the Kingstown Improvement Act.  The collection contains a number of abstracts of existing minutes which have been retained because the brief comments therein by presiding Chairman or Township Secretary provide additional insights into workings of the authority.  Also included are:  a report book of the Medical Officer of Health 1922-1929 (LA4/117), a Register of Notifications of Infectious Disease 1902-1931 (LA4/118), two pamphlets on the public health and climate of Kingstown 1881-1884 (LA4/329) and a damp letter press copy book of the Kingstown Life-Boat Disaster Trust 1897-1902 (LA4/302).

LA5 Dun Laoghaire Corporation

The listed records of Dun Laoghaire Corporate cover the 1930-1973 period and consist in the main of minutes, records of executive business and manager’s orders issued pursuant to the Local Government (Dublin) Act, 1930 and the County Management Act, 1940, rate books and wages and salary accounts.  Also included are some twenty one photographs on variety of subjects relating to the borough, copy of the 1937 Draft Constitution signed by Eamon de Valera and documentation relating to the 1940 bombing of Sandycove.

Deansgrange Cemetery

Deansgrange Cemetery was established in 1865 by the Board of Guardians of the Rathdown Union, acting as a Burial Board.  The Local Government (Ireland) Act, 1898 transferred responsibility for the administration of Dean’s Grange from the Board of Guardians to the U.D.C.’s of Blackrock, Kingstown and Dalkey and the Rural District Council Rathdown No. 1.  The U.D.C. of Killiney-Ballybrack acted as a Burial Board for its district but contributed to the cemetery.

On application by the Councils the Local Government Board made an order creating a united district and a Joint Burial Board in pursuance of the Public Health Act, 1878.  This was confirmed by the Local Government Board (Ireland) Provisional Order Confirmation (no. 4) Act, 1899.  Provision was made for expenses to be defrayed from a fund to be contributed to by the U.D.C.’s and the B.D.C. in proportion to the poor law valuation of their areas.  Following the Local Government (Dublin) Act, 1930 the Dean’s Grange Joint Burial Board (Adoption) Order, 1930 declared the Unit District to be the borough of Dun Laoghaire and the County Health District of Dublin.

The Burial Board records consist largely of minutes, registers of interments and of grave purchases.  The collection has not been indexed as it is still in regular use and the Board operates its own reference system.  However, a small number of dead records, mainly nineteenth and early twentieth century interment receipts, plans and obsolete regulations have been transferred to the Town Hall strong room and assigned provisional reference numbers.

Back