The Big Belly Street Bin system has been in operation in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown since 2014, with 420 large capacity smart bins provided on roads and streets around the county and in Marlay Park and Cabinteely Park. The smart bins are connected to a software system which flags when each bin is full or approaching fullness, or if there is a specific fault to report.
The implementation of the system has delivered efficiencies in the management of street waste – it has allowed for a reduction in the fleet required to service and empty the bins, and a reduction in the number of staff required to empty the bins, as the increased storage volume in the bins allows for less frequent emptying.
The Cleansing Section receives requests for new bins regularly. These requests are considered at each street bin review, with reviews taking place twice a year. At street bin reviews, consideration is given to a number of factors in relation to the placement of bins. These include:
• Whether some bins are underused and could be more efficiently placed.
• Whether additional bins are required in areas considered to be litter black spots.
• Accessibility and mobility considerations, such as footpath width.
• Safe system of work - whether there is a safe place for council vehicle to stop to safely empty the bin.
• Locations close to schools, shops and shopping areas are generally prioritised.
• Whether the risk of vandalism is high at certain locations.
• Whether there is a high risk of disposal of household waste in particular locations - e.g. bins are not usually placed near housing estates.
On occasion, where bins are removed following a review, we are in a position to relocate a small number of bins in repsonse to requests. However, it should be noted that most requests are refused, as we are currently not in a position to increase our bin stock pending resolution of an operations issue. Please be conscious of this if requesting additional street bins. Please also note that the Parks Department only place bins in manned parks. These are Marlay Park and Cabinteely Park. DLR Cleansing & Beaches Section maintains bins located on the street at the entrances to parks.