When is the wheelchair available?
- Between the hours of 11am to 5pm, 7 days a week during July and August 2018.
- Chairs can be booked in slots of 1 hour or 2 hours.
How do I book the wheelchair?
You must first register for the service. Please download a copy of the registration form here, or call into the Civic Hub to pick up a printed copy. Please also read the Instructions for Use document prior to completing the registration form. The registration form can be delivered in person to the Civic Hub in County Hall, Dún Laoghaire,
or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org,
or posted to:
Beach Wheelchair Hire Registration
Cleansing & Beaches Section,
Ballyogan Operations Depot,
Once the registration form has been processed, you will be given a registration number for use whenever you wish to hire the wheelchair.
Are there any terms and conditions?
- You must complete the Registration Form, which requires an acknowledgement of the risks associated with use of the beach wheelchair.
- You must collect the beach wheelchair only at the designated location on Killiney Beach. The collection point is at the bottom of the ramp adjacent to the arch leading to the public toilets. Please see a map showing the collection point shown below.
- You must present photo I.D. when collecting the chair.
- Chair users must have two helpers in attendance as our staff are not in a position to help the user either into or out of the wheelchair.
- You must collect and return the beach wheelchair at the agreed times.
Are Beach Wheelchairs for hire on other dlr Beaches?
Most of the beaches and bathing areas in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown have access restrictions because of the local topography. Ramps are in place at Seapoint Beach, Sandycove Beach and other beaches. However, these are less than ideal for permitting safe access by wheelchair users. A project is currently underway to improve accessibility to beaches in the county. This will include improving the existing ramp at Killiney Beach, providing an improved ramp at Seapoint Beach, including a ramp to beach level, and investigating options for improving accessibility at Sandycove. Once these improvements have been completed, it is intended to introduce a beach wheelchair hire service to these other beaches.
For further information please contact:
The Civic Hub, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council at 01 890 5619 or email email@example.com with “Beach Wheelchair Killiney” included in the subject line.
What type of Wheelchair is for hire?
The type of wheelchair for hire is the Hippocampe Beach Wheelchair. Please see information in the related Documents Section above.
How do I book a Wheelchair?
You must initially register link to form
Once registered, you can book in advance by phone or email. If booking by telephone, 24 hours’ notice must be provided. If booking by email 48 hours’ notice must be provided at present. You will receive an email confirming the booking.
Email Bookings: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Bookings: 01-2054799
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council welcomes feedback from users of this service.