What do the Minimum Standards cover –
Regulation 4 - Structural Condition
Regulation 5 - Sanitary Facilities
Regulation 6 - Heating Facilities
Regulation 7 - Food Preparation, Storage and Laundry
Regulation 8 - Ventilation
Regulation 9 - Lighting
Regulation 10 – Fire Safety
Regulation 11 – Refuse Facilities
Regulation 12 – Gas, Oil and Electricity
Regulation 13 - Information
Details on each Regulation can be viewed here.
How are the Regulations enforced:
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council has a legal obligation under the above legislation to enforce the minimum standards and it does so by inspections - both estate based and random spot checks.
Inspections are done by Authorised Officers on behalf of the Council and may include Environmental Health Officers, Council staff or private contractors. All will carry ID and inspections are normally done on an appointment basis unless an emergency exists.
Please note, there is no legal requirement for the Council to notify a landlord of an inspection and there may be penalties imposed for obstructing access or impeding an Authorised Officer in the course of their duty up to and including prosecution in the District Court.
However, as a matter of courtesy, we do endeavour to contact the landlord to advise of our intention to inspect.
Once an inspection is completed, the landlord will be notified in writing of any contraventions and given a timeframe to address them. All inspections are followed up by the Council and enforcement proceedings brought against cases of non-compliance.
Contacting the Housing Standards Section
Contact us by phone (01-2054334) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please provide the following details:
- Contact details
- Details of complaint
- Name and address of landlord
A complaint cannot be processed if:
- They are made anonymously.
- The issue is not a matter for Housing Standards.
- There is insufficient information provided to investigate.
Where a landlord fails to comply with an Improvement Notice in accordance with section 18A, the housing authority may give notive in writing (in this Act referred to as a "prohibition notice") to the landlord of the house concerned. The section below contains a list of Prohibition Notices served under the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992 by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.
- Apt 2, Castle Court, Ballinteer Road, Dundrum, Dublin 14
- 48 Clarinda Park East, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
- 9A The Mews, Woodbrook Downs, Dublin Road, Bray, Co. Dublin
- “Legende”, Falls Road, Shankill, Co. Dublin
- 8 Dromartin Castle, Goatstown, Dublin 16
- 1 Willow Park, Druid Valley, Tullyvale, Co. Dublin
- 103A Allen Park Road, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin
- Flat 11, 35 Alma Road, Monkstown, Co. Dublin
- 146 Oliver Plunkett Road, Monkstown, Co. Dublin
- 58 Carysfort Ave., (Common Areas) Blackrock, Co. Dublin
- 58 Carysfort Ave., (Ground Floor Left Flat) Blackrock, Co. Dublin
- 58 Carysfort Ave., (First Floor Left Flat) Blackrock, Co. Dublin
- 49 Bracken Hill, Sandyford, Dublin 18