End of Life Vehicles

Infrastructure & Climate Change Department

County Hall, Marine Road,

Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Phone: 01 205 4700

Email: info@dlrcoco.ie

What is an End of Life Vehicle?

Typically, an end-of-life vehicle (ELV) will be an intact passenger car or a light commercial van that the registered owner wishes to dispose of as waste. The European Union (End of Life Vehicles) Regulations 2014 (SI No 281 of 2014) ensure that when a car is scrapped, as much material as possible is recovered and recycled. This takes place in a way that does not harm the environment.


Producer Responsibility

The regulations require producers (i.e. importers and manufacturers of vehicles) to nominate free take-back centres to be known as Authorised Treatment Facilities (ATF) where the public can bring an end-of-life vehicle for final treatment. The public are obliged to use these facilities to dispose of their vehicles. The vehicles are depolluted and dismantled in a manner that avoids environmental pollution and the steel, plastic, glass, tyres etc. are recovered for recycling or re-use.

Owners and operators of ATF’s must issue a certificate of destruction to the registered owner of the ELV.


Car Owner Responsibility

Where the registered owner of a specified vehicle intends to discard of that vehicle as waste, they are required to deposit that vehicle at an ATF for disposal. Vehicles brought to ATFs for disposal should contain all essential components, and not have any additional waste included in them.

There are no Approved Treatment Facilities (ATFs) for the disposal of vehicles within the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown administrative area. However, links to ATFs located in the other Dublin Local Authority areas that do accept End of Life Vehicles can be foudn in the related links section on this page.

Alternatively, the Council also  provides a vehicle removal service for privately registered cars, free of charge. 

Visit our Vehicle Removal page here for more information.

We care about your feedback. Have your say.

Is this page useful?

Any concerns with your local area?

Report a problem with the Council