Planning Permission

How to make an online planning application?

It is now possible to make an online planning application. Please click here for information on the benefits, and how to register and make an online application. 

How do I make a planning application?

To obtain planning permission, the applicant must make a planning application. There are four different types of permission.  

An application may be made for: 

  • Permission
  • Outline Permission
  • Permission consequent to the grant of outline permission.
  • Retention

The most common type of planning permission is for permission, often referred to as full permission. 

Can I consult with the planning authority in advance of an application?

Yes, this is called a Pre-Planning Consultation.

The Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended) Section 247 sets out the parameters for engaging in consultation in relation to proposed development. This requires that the applicant has an interest in the land concerned and that he/ she wishes to consult about a particular proposed development.    

  • Requests can be made to and must include a Pre-Planning Consultation form.
  • A site location map which can be found at Ordnance Survey Ireland. The scale required is 1:1000 for Urban Areas and 1:2500 for Rural Areas.
  • Drawings of the proposed development (Site layout, elevation drawings etc)
  • It is advisable prior to making a pre-planning application, to consult the Dún Laoghaire - Rathdown County Development Plan 2022 - 2028  which may contain much of the relevant planning information needed for your proposed development. 

If sending in hard copies by post, two copies of all documents are required.

Once your application form has been submitted you will be assigned a case officer who will endeavour to provide feedback within two-three weeks.

Please Note: The applicant must be the owner of the site or have permission in writing from the owner of the site to pursue pre-planning advice (if applicable, this should also be lodged).

The Planning Authority will keep a record of any such consultations which will be a matter of public record on foot of a planning application being subsequently lodged.

The carrying out of such consultations shall not prejudice the performance by a Planning Authority of any other of its functions under the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, and cannot be relied upon in the formal Planning process or in legal proceedings.

Can I employ an agent to apply for permission on my behalf?

Yes, very few people go through the planning process without availing of the services of an architect or agent/planning consultant etc. This may take the form of somebody acting as your agent and dealing with the application in its entirety. Alternatively, you may have someone prepare the plans/ drawings for you and you will submit the application yourself.

What must I do in order to make a valid application?

In order to make a valid application you must submit the following:

  • Completed application form
  • Correct fee
  • Site notice
  • Newspaper notice
  • Site location map (6 copies - 10 copies if the property is a Protected Structure or within an Architectural Conservation Area)
  • Plans/ Drawings (6 copies – except for outline permission, 10 copies if the property is a Protected Structure or within an Architectural Conservation Area)
  • Approved Newspapers for This Area

What should the documents I submit along with my application show?

Social and Affordable Housing Certificate:

It is important to note that before applying for planning permission, applicants should ensure that they have applied for or obtained their Exemption Certificate in cases where development does not apply to the requirements for the provision of social and affordable housing on residentially zoned land or a mixture of residentially zoned land and other uses. An application for an Exemption Certificate should be completed for certain small residential developments which are excluded from social and affordable housing provisions. 

The Statutory Declaration template provided with the application is intended for use as a guideline only.  When preparing the declaration for submission with the application, item nos. 1 to 9 must be answered/completed by the applicant, (bearing in mind that individual circumstances differ/vary for each applicant).

The completed declaration should then be signed by a commissioner for oaths or a practicing solicitor.

Applications for Planning Permission must also apply for an Exemption certificate (or have been granted one previously) if they propose to build one or more dwelling units (regardless of the total site area).

Site Location Map
(6 copies – 10 copies if the property is a Protected Structure or within an Architectural Conservation Area):

The Site Location Map must be marked or coloured so as to identify clearly the land or structure to which the application relates and the boundaries thereon.  The Site Location Map should be on an Ordinance Survey map with the number of the Ordinance Survey map clearly indicated thereon.  The scale of the map should be not less than 1:1000 in urban areas and 1:2500 in rural areas.

Site/Layout Map
(6 copies – 10 copies if the property is a Protected Structure or within an Architectural Conservation Area):

(Except for Outline Permission)

Plans and drawings should contain detailed structural drawings of floor plans, elevation and sections and such other particulars as are necessary to describe the works or structure to which the application relates.  These must be drawn to a scale not less than 1:200.  Detailed proposals for the separate disposal of both foul and surface water to as far as the public sewers or other disposal locations are required.  No surface water should be shown entering the foul drainage system.

Public / Site Notice:

A copy of the site notice must be submitted with each planning application. The site notice must be placed on site for five weeks from the date of receipt of the planning application. If it becomes illegible or is removed, it must be replaced immediately as failure to do so will invalidate the application. The site notice must be located at the entrance to the private road where it meets the public road, and at the entrance to the site. For sample of Site Notice see Planning Forms 

Newspaper Notice:

A copy or original of the newspaper notice must be submitted with the application. 

The application must be lodged with the Planning Department within two weeks of the publication date of the newspaper.

All notices must contain:

  • As a heading, the name of the Planning Authority and shall include the name of the applicant;
  • The nature of application i.e. permission, outline or permission following the grant of outline permission;
  • The location, townland or postal address of the land or structure.
  • A brief description of the development.

The notice must state that the application may be inspected or purchased at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy at the offices of the Planning Authority during its' public opening hours and a submission or observation may be made to the Planning Authority in writing on payment of the prescribed fee within the period of 5 weeks beginning on the date of receipt by the authority of the application. 

Once an application is received by the planning department, what happens next?

The planning decision process usually takes 8 weeks. The application will go through the following stages: 

  • When the planning application is received, the application will be examined to ensure everything is correct and in order, valid or invalid (if found to be invalid, the application will be returned).
  • The site notice must be kept up and legible for 5 weeks from the date the application has been lodged.  The planner will visit the site possibly on a number of occasions during this time to check the site notice (if the site notice is found to be invalid due to site notice not being properly displayed, the application will be returned).
  • Submissions or observations will be accepted up to 5 weeks from the date of receipt of the application.
  • After this, the planner will begin to assess the application and write his/her report where a recommendation is made.
  • Application and report then go to the appropriate levels for approval and signing where the decision is made.
  • The decision letter will be sent by registered post, normally within 8 weeks from the date the application is received.
  • Final Grants are issued at the end of the 5th week following a Notification of Decision to Grant Planning Permission by the Planning Authority. This applies when an appeal has not been lodged with An Bord Pleanála during the 4 week appeal period.

If Additional Information is requested and indeed, possible Clarificaion of Additional Information, the applicant has up to 6 months (from the original date the Additional Information was requested) to submit the response to both.

Any decision made can be appealed by the Applicant or objectors, to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks from the decision date.

A person who has an interest in land ADJOINING land in respect of which a decision to grant permission has been made, may apply to An Bord Pleanála for Leave to Appeal against that decision.

We care about your feedback. Have your say.

Is this page useful?

Any concerns with your local area?

Report a problem with the Council